Apple toughens iCloud security
Apple has expanded its use of “two-step verification” checks to protect data stored online by its customers.
It follows suggestions third-party software had been used to steal intimate photos of celebrities – posted online last month – from iCloud.
The action should stop the tool from being able to infiltrate Apple’s internet storage service if the safety measure is implemented.
However, the security facility remains an opt-in choice.
One expert suggested that Apple should instead make it the default option.
The process works by introducing an extra step after an account holder has typed their username and password into a device they have not used before.
They are also required to enter a four-digit code that is either texted to a trusted mobile phone number or sent via Apple’s Find My iPhone app.
If the person does not enter the code, they are refused access to iCloud and are blocked from making an iTunes, iBooks, or App Store purchase.
They can, however, use a 14-character recovery key to regain access to the account in the event their trusted device is lost or stolen. They are told to keep this in a safe place to avoid being locked out.
TAGS:News Reality – Apple toughens iCloud security
Apple toughens iCloud backup security – CNET
Apple toughens iCloud backup security – Tech Investor News
CNET on Twitter: “Apple toughens iCloud backup security …
Webindexia™ » Apple toughens iCloud security
Daily Insider | Apple toughens iCloud backup security
Science News Daily || Apple toughens iCloud backup security
Theneeds – Apple toughens iCloud backup security
Apple toughens iCloud security after celebrity breach …
Technology: Apple toughens iCloud security | Crowdboom
- Which cloud storage services are secure?
- WD My Cloud Official How to Use Guide
- Tech Tip: Securing online document storage for Attorneys
- Sync.com Review 2016 | SECURE CLOUD STORAGE
- SurDoc – 100GB FREE Ultra-secure Cloud Storage
- ProtectStar iTreasure PRO – The Most Secure Pocket-Size Data Vault for iOS
- New personal icloud app for data security
- Is Cloud-Based Storage Really Secure? – Macey Meriggi
- iPhone 6 Tips – What is iCloud Drive?
- Inside a Google data center
- How to Wipe & Restore a MacBook Pro/Air to Sell
- How to Transfer Apps & Data From an Old iPhone to a New iPhone : Tech Yeah!
- How to delete iCloud backups
- GotBackup – Best Secure Cloud Storage Service
- External Storage for iPhone / iPad (64 GB)
- Could Apple be at the core of celebrity cloud storage security breach?